You love the look and aesthetic appeal of a wooden deck, but you hate the constant maintenance – staining, power washing, replacing warped or discolored boards, etc. But you don’t have a choice, right? The only way to get the natural look of wood is to use wood.
A new type of decking material is quickly gaining popularity – plastic deck lumber. This article from About.com explains this revolutionary material.
Plastic lumber is nothing new; it has been on the market since the 1980’s. But plastic lumber, which is made from either recycled plastic or single resin polyethylene (HDPE and LPDE), polystyrene or polyvinyl chloride, has gained a lot of popularity in recent years. This sustainable decking material offers several benefits that wood simply cannot. These include:
• Can be molded into many different shapes and sizes, including curves
• Waterproof and resists rot and mold without sealant
• Stain-proof against many chemicals and substances
• Manufactured in a range of colors and doesn’t require paint
• Fade-proof against the elements
• Higher density than wood
• Does not contain chemical treatments
• Does not splinter, crack or warp
• Resists insects
• 100% recyclable
Unfortunately, plastic lumber has one big disadvantage – price. Plastic lumber costs quite a bit more than wood decking. But while the initial cost output for plastic lumber is higher than wood, you will save money in the long run since you will not have to stain or power wash your plastic deck. And as plastic lumber products become more popular, the cost will likely drop.
If have any questions at all, contact TW Ellis by calling 800-852-8335 or click here today!