Home additions are fantastic way to create more space for your needs. Maybe it’s time you created the sewing room you’ve always wanted or a mother-in-law suite. Perhaps it’s time for a gaming room or a music room—maybe even a home movie theater or an indoor basketball court! Let’s look at some ideas on why you need an addition and how to make that happen.
Additions Give You Space You Need
If you have ever crammed yarn or craft supplies into every empty nook and cranny in a room that you can find, you are in definite need of an addition. Have you tried to write your book at the kitchen table with kids running around?
There are a lot of reasons to make the extra space for you to achieve your goals.
- You need the quiet to tap into your creativity
- You need to avoid distractions: Facebook, your laundry, the television, or your partner and kids trying to talk to you every five minutes
- You need the space to be able to breathe and instill calmness into your day
- You need the space to enjoy time doing what you’re passionate about
- You may need storage for vehicles, a boat, or space for a workshop
Aside from personal reasons for an addition, they can also add resale value to your home. Square footage and the number of bedrooms is part of pricing a home. If you bought your home at a great deal, you’re almost guaranteed to make a profit from increasing your square footage.
Addition Ideas for Your Own Space
Additions are personal and can be for anything you desire. If you need home addition ideas, consider some of the following:
- Yoga room
- Art room
- Writing room
- Mother-in-law suite
- Craft room
- Home gym
- Garage or workshop space
- Guest room/AirBnB room
When you speak with your home builder about your needs, ask them for advice. They may come up with some amazing ideas for the room or the use of the addition.
Professional Additions: What You Need to Know
- Creating an addition can be expensive and a long process. This is not a DIY project. You will need the help of a contractor to get this done. The T.W. Ellis team has experience creating seamless additions to homes. We will make sure to get all permits necessary to create your new addition and consider all your wants and needs for the project.
- If you are wanting a certified green building, make sure to ask us about our Master CGP designation. Green Building options are great to incorporate into additions.
- When it comes to building the addition up from the home or add-on, add-on is more budget friendly. Building up adds a more complexity for the design of your addition. You should generally build up when you do not have the space to add-on.
- A home addition can provide a sanctuary for you, add value to your home, and be whatever you need it to be. You can’t lose with a home addition.
Contact T.W. Ellis today to get started on your new addition and make your home work for you in whatever way you need!